"Some say the world will end in fire... some say in ice..." – Robert Frost
FROM TERRANCE LINDALL,
In Brave Destiny, working with the British SAI, we produced the world's largest ever show of living surreal/visionary artists. I was subsequently asked to write an article on it for Art & Antiques Magazine (then the world's largest magazine of its kind with 100,000+ subscribers). http://www.wahcenter.net/exhibits/2003/surreal/
In 2008 I created the world's largest ever Milton Festival, covered or mentioned by major papers around the world including a major article in the NY Times (1,000,000+ subscribers). The NY Times even captioned my show on their FRONT PAGE, not usually done for any art shows! http://www.wahcenter.net/exhibits/2008/milton400/
Now I want to know how YOU envision THE END OF THE WORLD!
In many cultures the world is predicted to end in 2012, so why not celebrate it with BIG send-off!!!! Artists will gather in FALL 2012 at the...END OF THE WORLD in Williamsburg Brooklyn to celebrate it with a BIG SEND-OFF!
hosted by the young TV star Matthew Gray Gubler
AND THERE WILL BE MANY OTHER EXCITING EVENTS
There are a number of December 21 2012 predictions about the end of the world…earth as we know it. Some say that on an ancient Mayan calendar 2012 points to the end of the world: they pick December 21 2012 as the exact day because that's when the calender ends. Others speak of a Nostradamus 2012 doomsday prediction. Some 2012 end of the world predictions are connected to each other, some are not. It has got to the point where the thought of a 2012 end of the world doomsday is on everyone’s mind. We are a vulnerable species. There is the vulnerability of our ecosystem! There is the Olduvai Theory that VERY SCIENTIFICALLY indicates that we have reached “peak oil” and that our civilization will now crumble and push us back to the stone age. We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world many times over! Look at the Middle East where countries are in a rush to get weapons to “protect themselves.” All it would take is one lunatic! Have you noticed any lunatics in the Middle East? One end of the world 2012 prophecy concerns an ancient MAYAN CALENDAR which ends on December 21 2012. Many end of the world 2012 predictions have been linked to this.
1. ALIENS FROM OUTER SPACE - abductions and sightings come from all kinds of people it's hard to believe they are making it up.
2. PROPHECIES OF ARMAGEDDON - we have already had two world wars, will the world end with the ultimate war between good and evil in the year 2012? The Bible talks about a battle of Armageddon following increased earthquakes, floods, famine, disease, wars and rumors of wars. Noticed any of that latey?
3. SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTS along the lines of splitting the atom - will the earth be blown up by a mad scientist? HAARP is asid to have caused the Haitian earthquake and perhaps even the New Zealand earthquake. Apparently there are experiments planned on a very large scale planned for the year 2012. The individuals who are demanding answers about HAARP are scattered around the planet. As well as bush dwellers in Alaska, they include: a physician in Finland; a scientist in Holland; an anti-nuclear protester in Australia; independent physicists in the United States; a grandmother in Canada, and countless others.
Unlike the protests of the 1960s the objections to HAARP have been registered using the tools of the 1990s. From the Internet, fax machines, syndicated talk radio and a number of alternative print mediums the word is getting out and people are waking up to this new intrusion by an over zealous United States government.
And there was the very real Sonic Weapon of Vladimir Gavreau.
Also in a long very tunnel, particle physicists plan to collide electrons and positrons (the opposite of electrons to create antimatter. No one knows what will happen if antimatter is created. Could it destroy a delicate balance in the universe?
4. On an ancient MAYAN CALENDAR 2012 is an IMPORTANT DATE The Mayan Calendar runs out on December 21 2012 and it has been suggested that they knew something we don't Did the Mayans believe in a 2012 doomsday.
For example, the Mayans also believed that our sun is a god powered by blood from human sacrifices - this and other beliefs were influenced by hallucinogenic drugs which were used, among other things for autosacrifices (yes, suicide).
5. A very real possibility is DISEASE - we have seen how quickly it can spread and devastate human life on earth. The And there has been talk of the threat of pandemics for several years now. In the 1918 flu pandemic Between 50 and 100 million died, making it one of the deadliest natural dsiast in human history. 6. Will SOLAR FLARES bring about a December 21 2012 end of the world doomsday? Solar flares are near the top of the list for 2012 predictions. Solar flares seem to come in cycles and NASA had said that the sun was due for a big one around 2012.
7. BIOLOGICAL WARFARE has been included among some 2012 predictions as a means to earth's end. But again, how can one predict that a 2012 end of the world doomsday from this! Especially that biological weapons will end the world? Biological weapons are the poor nations weapons of mass destuction easier to make, but impossivle perhaps to contro.one ce released.
8. One of the 2012 predictions is of a GIANT METEOR OR ASTEROID. Meteors have struck the earth before. Could a giant meteor or comet bring about a 2012 end to the world doomsday? Some predict we are overdue for a strike and give 2012 as a possible date for a giant meteor strike on earth. The biggest threat NASA have identified is an asteroid named Apophis. It will pass close in 2029 with a probability for impact on April 13, 2036 calculated at 1 in 45,000 but we cannot see all of the heavemnyl;y bodies out there and perhapds one will tsrike the eaerth in 2012.
9. Others believe that a PLANET X: NIBIRU, two thirds earth's size, will pass through our solar system around 2012 causing polar axis shifts on earth.
10) Reversal of the magnetic field. The Earth;s magnetc feird reversse ocasionaly. What would be the results?
11) In Nostradamus, “Planet X” has also been linked to some prophecies (or quatrains) about the end of the world.
12) Everybody wakes up one morning and decides to become artists. Nobody goes to work and grows food. Everyone starves to death.
(List in development)
Bienvenido “Bones” Bañez Jr. "The greatest surreal/visionary artist of the Philippines"
Tim Slowinski "...the whole picture of our world in all it's dimensions." – Andrei Codrescu Editor of "Exquisite Corpse"
Yuko Nii, Exposition Grande Dame
Terrance Lindall, Show Director
Jun Shoji New York-Tokyo Liaison
Joel Simpson, Official Photographer
Ted Stauber, Official Videographer
Orin Buck, Graphic Design
Peter Dizozza, Theater Director
(List in development)
Pepper's Project Galleries, Tokyo, JAPAN
Limner Gallery, New York
(List in development)
Direct Art was founded in 1996 and has emerged in the last decade as a leading alternative fine art magazine. Direct Art’s mission is to display the work of the finest, most interesting and talented artists from around the globe. Each issue is packed with new artists. Selected annually from an international talent search, the work of these artists makes Direct Art unique and unlike any other art magazine. Because if its uniqueness, Direct Art appeals to a wide audience. Artists, collectors, gallery owners and ordinary folks who love pictures are all lured to the colorful creativity of Direct Art.
Direct Art is published annually by SlowArt Productions and is released in the fall of each year. It is distributed by COMAG Marketing Group, the same distributors of Art News and Art in America, to fine book and magazine stores across America, including Barnes and Noble and Borders Books and Music. Additional copies are distributed to New York City galleries, museums and specialty book stores.
Direct Art is devoted purely to fine art and while commercial advertising is not strictly prohibited, it is not solicited by the publication. Direct Art utilizes the highest quality, full color printing on all its pages. The magazine is perfect bound with a 230gsm glossy cardstock cover.